We are deep into this mango season and it’s a good time to fill our meals with the taste of raw mango fish curry.
In this episode of Active Cooking Vijaya takes you to Lakshmi’s kitchen as she shares the secrets of making delicious mango fish curry.
Here is a brief of the recipe for those who want to try.
- Curry fish – 500 gms cleaned and cut into pieces
- Raw mango – 1/2 mango cut into slices(If you use small sized mangoes use the whole mango)
- Shallots – 1 cup cut into thin slices
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Mustard seeds – 1 tspn
- Red chilli powder – 3 tbspn(adjust as per your spice requirement)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tspn
- Salt – to taste
- Fish Tamarind ( three to four two inch pieces)
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Ginger – 1 inch finely chopped
- Green chillies – 2, chopped
- Oil – 2 tspn
- Red Chilli – 2
- Mix the red chili powder, salt and turmeric powder with some water into a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in an earthen pot. Splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and red chilies.
- Now add shallots and green chilies and saute till the shallots are tender and slightly brown.
- Add the red chilies turmeric paste and mix until the oil separates.
- Add some water to make sure that the spices don’t burn. Cook well.
- Once h oil has separated. Add more water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Now add the raw mango and mix well.
- Add extra salt if needed.
- Now add fish tamarind and then the fish pieces. Allow it to simmer and cook well until the gravy becomes thicker.
- Once thickened, add the coconut milk and allow the curry to simmer and cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- The mango fish curry is now ready. Allow the curry to rest well before serving with hot rice.
Listen to the complete recipe and fish curry making process here with Vijaya and Lakshmi.